Tuesday, July 1 is the start of some major new changes, including changes to the location, look, and feel of Canvas! The new URL to access Canvas will be https://fsw.instructure.com. Faculty and students will be able to log in here with their same Portal username and password as normal; and the old edison.instructure.edu address will redirect to the new address for the next few months to give everyone time to update their bookmarks. Students encountering login issues with their Portal username and password should contact the Help Desk.
Here’s a sneak preview of the look-and-feel of the new Canvas instance:
As with any major change, there may be some speed bumps as everything comes together, so please keep the following in mind as we get through the next week:
- Although your Portal email may be down, your Portal username and password will continue to work in Canvas during migration
- Regular Portal password updates are continuing for students so if login issues crop up during migration, please be flexible if students report issues logging into their email or Canvas.
Now for a look ahead...
Sometime in mid-July, we plan to have a resource for you to create your own custom FSW Online banner, to roll out in the Fall semester along with the new FSW syllabi. We’ll be providing the link to that resource via the Information Station as soon as we can. You will be able to customize those banners with your course number, course name, and your name. Again, we are aiming for a release in mid-July for rollout in Fall semester.
In the meantime, it’s a good idea to comb through your course to find references to Edison State. If you see any of the following, and you need help removing or replacing them:
- Course Banners with the old ESC logo that are NOT static images (i.e., you do not see the banner image in your course files);
- Videos with the old Edison Online logo in the video (in Kaltura, Youtube or Vimeo); or,
- SmarterMeasure links and related login information (please see this earlier announcement in the Instructor Information Station)
please make a note, and let your assigned instructional designer know. Regular ESC banner image files can be replaced using the banner creator tool mentioned above, so those can be updated when the tool is announced.
Don’t forget: all references to Edison within the text of your course pages, announcements, documents, quizzes, or anything else will not update automatically, so those will need to be corrected as well!
We’re always happy to help create custom discipline- or instructor-specific banners with your photo, and work with you to find or devise replacement attendance verification activities or resources to replace SmarterMeasure. Contact information for each designer and their assigned area is noted here:
|Lily Carr||Lily.Carr@fsw.edu||Library, SLS|
|Tina Davis||Tina.Davis@fsw.edu||Pure and Applied Sciences, Health Professions|
|Marilyn Goby||Marilyn.Goby@fsw.edu||Business and Technology|
|Rebecca Yost||Rebecca.Yost@fsw.edu||Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences, Education|
Thanks everyone, and Go Bucs!